Love and Music keeps the home happy

=)

I have always enjoyed singing and performing since I was a little girl. How good was I? Well, that was another story all together...but yes, my folks encouraged us singing from a young age (Dad's rendition of Presley's "Love Me Tender" is still crystal clear in my head -- him singing the song during a celebration in the Malaysian Hall, UK many, many moons back).

My sister and I learnt how to harmonize and add "second voice" to our repertoire of songs around the age of 5-6 years old? We were not able to afford music lessons so I picked up drums and guitars  during highschool.

It was during this time too that I participated in musical performances - from singing in the school choir to random school concerts and performing in these small shows that my good friend Claire would arrange.

I remember getting paid RM50 performing at the Shangrila Tanjung Aru Resort for an annual dinner (if I'm not mistaken) - and singing Shai's "If I Ever Fall in Love" acappella with the girls. We were in Form 2.

When my father found out, he blew his top. Despite his encouragement during my younger days, his support waned as I grew up because he wanted me to concentrate on my academic performance. I was banned from singing and remember being very upset with my father because of this.

But that didn't stop me from trying out in an audition for the Bakat Interact 2 years later. I chose The Little Mermaid "Part of Your World"song as my audition song.

When I was not selected, I never sang publicly again. Till about 3 years ago, when my friend Atilia cooerced me to sing with Suki and her for Pos Malaysia.

Looking back, I think dad "banned" me for 2 reasons.

1. So I can concentrate on my studies and
2. He didn't want to raise unneccessary hope. He probably knew I was not much of a singer anyway. =P

Now that I have my own brood, I am taking the reins on parenting now. I LOVE being a mother but I do find the role tricky sometimes.

My firstborn is currently into singing. Oddly, this is one of the songs she loves humming to.



terpleot pun ada. =)

And this was Atilia, Suki and I about 3 years back performing for Pos Malaysia's launch.



Back to Bel.

She may not have the voice of an angel, but I will not douse the enthusiasm of my 5 year old by asking her to quit.

x

Comments

  1. Hi Daphne, this comment is not related to the above post, sorry. Just wanted to share this project by my friends, not sure if you've come across it. but thought it might interest you since you are very active with volunteer/charity work. hope you can vote for them if u like the project and help promote it too http://communities.challenge.my/submissions/12378-recovr

    thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Daphne,

    Is Isobel really singing the song?If it is she sounds so cute.Her voice is so chipminkish.LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment