Daphne, BerryBow and WAO

Every year, I try and help my friends and colleagues at the Women's Aid Organisation (WAO) or Pertubuhan Pertolongan Wanita. Noone deserves to be abused. Violence against women is a crime, and a violation of her human rights. Men must be held responsible for their violence. Violence against women is about power and control. In some cultures, violence against women is deeply embedded, so much so that millions of women consider it a way of life.


WAO has offered refuge for those who have been abused (with/and their children) since 1982. Besides offering shelter, WAO also offers both face-to-face AND telephone counseling for hundreds of women every year as well as offering skill classes and training so these women (who are often dependent on their husbands for financial support) are able to live life without their abusive husbands/partners.

My friends and I are members and volunteers at WAO. So even though we don't get paid (or for those working on a full time basis have REALLY low salaries (God bless them)), we still need funds to run the shelter, to buy necessities like food, clothes and home needs -- as well as to pay for the operations and admin of running the refuge.

That's where we need to be consistent in our fundraising events. And I am proud to be part of this Bazaar and Fundraising event. Help us, help them.

I have been a victim of abused. It is NOT pleasant. The scars are still visible from inside out. I am just thankful and glad I had a strong support system and was financially capable to rid myself from the nasties. Not many women are as fortunate. =(

Spread the word, even if you can't come and physically support ya? Thank you. From the bottom of my heart.


Love,
Daphne Iking x


Comments